[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Petal Throne • View topic - New to the Forum, New To EPT.

All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:29 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:33 pm 

Definately do the GOO ruleset. It looks like it will work surprisingly well, and as someone else said in (I think) this thread, you can pretty much make any character you'd want to. And the Chargen will do a good job of helping both GM and Players get a feel for the characters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:55 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:57 pm 

Not sure what you mean by "core rules." Setting information ("the temple of Qon is like this...", or game mechanics ("to determine if you hit the Thunru'u with your spear, do this...")? I'm guessing you mean setting, and are looking for suggestions as to what are the best sources. Hands-down the single best thing to get is the Tekumel Sourcebook, which was volume 1 of Swords & Glory. There are two versions of it, a single volume or 3 booklet set. The former has an index, the latter has more art and better typesetting.

After the Sourcebook, opinions vary, and much depends on what you want to do in your campaign. The two volumes of Mitlanyal are great, they give huge amounts of information on the temples, and since the temples are powerful force in Tekumel, you can get a lot of use of that information. The legion histories in Deeds of the Ever-Glorious are also very useful. The solo adventures in Adventures in Tekumel also give lots of good flavor and insight into the world. What we don't have are any decent scenarios or adventures, you're on your own for that.
Along with Tita's, you should take a look for Barker's Tekumel stuff on
www.drivethrurpg.com
lots of pdfs for sale there, pretty cheap.

If I'm wrong and you meant game mechanics, then the obvious candidate is the new game, Tekumel: Empire of the Petal Throne, published by Guardians of Order. However, a lot of Tekumel fans are old-timers who still prefer their own concoctions, either modifications of older systems like Swords & Glory or the original Empire of the Petal Throne or applications of more recent rules sets like GURPS (Brett Slocum's website has lots of info)
http://www.weirdrealm.com/tekumel/
or Delbert Jackson's application of Savage Worlds
http://home.earthlink.net/~djackson24/Delbert6.htm

hope this helps.

Welcome back to Tekumel!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:07 am 

Well, you offered a complete answer, which indicates you are a complete thinker... always evidence of a long history with RPGs:)

Yes, mainly I was after the setting sources, and I agree, I am going to get the tri-stat GOO book... it is on the way to me from a UK seller actually as I write.

Thanks for the link for used RPG materials, that could come in handy, for sure. Mean time, I discovered the Savage Tekumel page, too, and it certainly has a fun, if light, feel to it... boy, RPG has changed since my high school days, when there was only a couple of choices. Being an economist, I sure am interested in the history of the marketplace in this genre of entertainment!

Well, for now, I await materials in snail mail mode, and I continue my online questing, there is, it turns out, much more Tekumel stuff on the web than what first meets the eye...

Mike :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:18 pm 

La, Thumis smiles upon the complete thinker... :)

Just a minor point of clarification: DriveThruRPG only sells electronic (pdf) files, not used hard-copy. About 30 of Barker's Tekumel documents are for sale there, most for a few dollars each. Most of them are not in print, and some are not even available from Tita's House of Games. These are being put up by Barker's own players on his behalf, so the money goes to him.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=185

Also, as noted earlier in this thread there are several yahoogroups dedicated to various aspects of Tekumel. The largest and most active is just called "tekumel" and you can find the web site for it here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tekumel/
The "Files" sectiion has a wealth of goodies, including spreadsheets of legions, spells, and npc's, indexes of several of Barker's novels and of Deeds of the Ever-Glorious and lots of other very good stuff.

good hunting,

George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:42 pm 

Thanks for the heads up on the pdf downloads... I just found the free TriStat dX download, so that is giving me a head start, while I await the Tek: EPT book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:07 pm 

The T:EPT designers call their rules "tri-stat inspired", because they depart in notable ways from standard tri-stat, so be prepared. There is a big (25 page) preview pdf available from Guardians, along with a charactersheet:
http://www.guardiansorder.com/games/tekumel/