[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Petal Throne • View topic - Legion NCOs

All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Post subject: Legion NCOs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:58 am 

Hopefully this is the right subforum for this question! How do you mark NCOs with your miniatures? I'm thinking more of how is a Tirrikamu's uniform distinct from that of a Changadesha or a Kuruthuni - or even a Bakaitokoi Hiqetpe?

Post subject: Legion NCO's
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:56 am 

Good question! Are you painting the older miniatures, or the new ones from Eureka? The reason I ask is that the new ones look like it may be easier to decorate armor with rapidograph pens or ultrafine ink pens. To my understanding it is the officers who generally decorate their armor, but I suppose this isn't necessarily true. I mean a member of a high or very high clan probably has the resources to decorate armor. On the other hand, the Tekumel version of a sergeant is probably a lot less refined and apt to look more like "one of the lads". Just my two cents worth!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:07 pm 

Thanks for the reply - it's the Eureka minis I'm painting.
I hadn't thought of using a rapidograph pen on the armour... and I use one for eye's already!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:06 am 

Having been a Tirrikamu (Tiruna in the North) I must say that when on a battlefield a Tirrikamu or Hereksa have little markings to distinguish them from their troops. In a peacetime role, the addition of a baton or plume may distinguish a Hereksa, but usually the Kasi is the first of the officers to actually get a mark. Since the Kasi command us in the field, it is more important to know where they are than to worry about your local NCO. In any case, when whacked across the head by your Tirrikamu or Hereksa you will know where they are.
-Hlucha hiTlakotani
Molkar, 12th Imperial Light Infantry
The Legion of the Sapphire Kirtle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:04 pm 

In addition to the paint, I have been using a rapidograph pen on my YK shields with the belief that the more intricate the decoration the more like the published artwork the mini would become. I am also trying to use more metal on the higher ranks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:27 pm 

Really like your paint jobs Akarsh! Would you object if I put them up on our blog?

Re. decorating the uniforms, the Professor did tell me that they would be decorated with all sorts of designs, especially the fancy dress uniforms. Note that *technically* the illustrations in the Army books - the ones our figures are based upon - show mostly the dress uniforms. The actually battle uniforms are probably generic across the army, and then there is the siege armour like that shown in the "Siege of Ke'er" drawing. We chose to ignore this however, as the uniforms are so cool - and that was how the original range was done anyway. IIRC, the sourcebook describes the Tsolyani helmet at a burgonet, but I could be mis-remembering.

I think looking at old moghul armour (and Persian?) is probably a good source for inspriation.

Re. the Yan Koryani, they are a mixed bag according to the professor. Much less regular than the Tsolyani so you might have one wearing a new cuirass, another wearing his fathers old armour, a third wearing slightly different pattern of armour, all with different styles of helmet. That is why we went for the different helmet styles with the Yan Koryani - in an attempt to make them less regular looking.

Even the Tsolyani are probably not as regular as one might think. It is sort of like playing historical periods - do you do your French Line infantry in parade ground uniforms or on campaign - with torn trousers, bare feet, and a variety of headgear?

Howard

The Tekumel Project:
http://thetekumelproject.blogspot.com/
http://thetekumelclub.blogspot.ca

My Tekumel gaming blog:
http://heroesoftheage.blogspot.ca

My non-Tekumel gaming blog and The Garden of Kama:
http://lohwand.blogspot.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:40 am 

Thanks for the complements! Feel free to post them to the Blog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:52 pm 

If you looked at our history. You can find parrallels. For much of what an army might look like. A French officer in the period of Napoleon Said " you can never be to well dressed when the cannon roars". So as then when large formal armies marched, Uniforms became utilitarian. But they took all thier dress uniforms so on the day of battle they looked thier best weather permitting. It didnt hurt for them to look good when coming into a city either , women cant resist a man in uniform.
Also look at the umimpeacable sorces, Flame Song is a great sorce in my opinion. The units mentioned there were primarily line units and there uniforms and equipments were far from standardised. Officers had more . More money,More access to equipment, more leeway to express them selves ect. So I imagine there would be differences here aswell. As for NCOs junior and sinior. There was never any doubt during my time in the military who was what. You could see who was incharge by thier manors as well as thier appearience. There were those who knew how to wear the uniform and could make the best of the worst case scenarios. So they always looked sharp No matter what. However spit shined boots during monsoon ment that they didnt do much real work So dont bother worrying what they were doing probley REMFs passing thru.. The real NCOs You knew because that boot was useualy planted in your butt. ( would love it if there was a figure of a SNCO dressing down some poor Pvt or pushing troops to MOVE MOVE... Junior officers were easy too even with out the insignia they were easy to spot, we all stunk like ass. While they had that great smell of Brut going on, Clean tee shirts and knew where thier tooth brush was. even in garrison the looked a little scared. Not sure how you could paint these differences though. Sinior officers had a gaggle about them. (so maybe a command stand is better done as a vingnet with a couple of flunkies hanging around.) My two cents probley and late aswell.