[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Petal Throne • View topic - Jakalla

All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:29 am

Post subject: Jakalla
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:38 am 

I was interested in setting a game in Jakalla - so I'm trying to scrape together enough information to evoke the feel and vibe of the city when I start the campaign. It's going to be a rather straightforward 'Off the Boat' start to the campaign.

So far I've got the original map of Jakalla and a file helpfully compiled by Sarah Newton in the Files section of the Tekumel Yahoo group, and I've been flicking through the various PDF and other products, looking for other references to Jakalla.

Has anyone run anything in Jakalla or have any 'flavour' snippets that you would care to share? Any Much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:55 pm 

Somewhere I've seen some writeup of a game in which the players were leading members of a small tribe that all all got off the boat in Jakalla together. The whole tribe. I thought it was very well done. The pc's were tribal hunters/warriors, maybe a shaman in training. The tribe had an elderly and frail senior shaman that the gm could use to help players out if need be. In some ways this works better than having the party as a just an unattached team of barbarians. In some ways, Tsolyani society deals better with groups than loners, even if they are foreign scum. :) Of course it also raises the stakes: the players have to find food and shelter for the tribe, protect them from slavers, etc.

Unfortunately now I have no idea where I saw it. I'm not sure now that it was public. If I can find it I'll post here.

In the meantime, you could do worse then search the Blue Room archive (look in the Archive section here).

Another thought: the Mssuma upstream of Jakalla is wide, strong, slow. Meandering, with no major cities along its bank for hundreds of tsan. Always seemed like there might be a basis for piracy along there, and other dark secrets in the backwaters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:18 am 

I think I found it: http://www.tekumel.com/eoasw1_02.html - It was in an issue of the Allseeing Eye of Wonder. There's some really nice stuff in there and I'll definately use it (or bits of it) to springboard the campaign.

I love the titbit about river pirates, too. I think Jakalla is slowly starting to take shape for me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:52 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:28 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:18 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:19 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:44 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:59 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:38 pm 

Ah, thanks for the information about the EPT large scale map. I still haven't been able to get a copy. Since it sounds like some things are missing from it, I guess maybe the Swords & Glory map is the most informative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:55 pm 

Yes, I'd say that S&G map is more informative because there are quite a few places marked on the large scale maps that aren't named. The city/town symbol is there only. The large scale maps have 2 advantages as far as I can see which are the fact that they're bigger (!) so they don't need a high power magnifying glass to read and that they're in colour with areas marked for the places non-humans live. For example the area immediately north-west of the Pachalím Cliffs in eastern Yan Kor is where the Shunned Ones live.
I've been doing a bit of work to overcome the size disadvantage but it's painstaking and slow. I originally started it because there's no large-scale versions of maps 3 & 4 available and I wanted colour versions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:40 pm 

Do you not know that large (11x17 inch) color versions of the S&G maps are available? They were originally included with the Gamescience version of the S&G vol. 1, the Tekumel Sourcebook, as two-sided sheets on treated paper. The versions included on pages of the later versions of the Sourcebook are reduced from those larger maps. Tita's House of Games has reprinted the original large maps at the same size, but on 4 separate sheets, and sells the set for US$14. Look in the Swords & Glory section of their pricelist.
http://www.tekumel.com/tita/pricelist.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:28 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:41 pm 

Post subject: Re: Jakalla
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:05 pm 

In case you haven't seen it already, Victor Raymond has been running a Thread on running an original Empires of the Petal Throne game. Part of the thread includes a discussion of Jakalla and it's underworld.

He includes two PDFs which examine Jakalla's [possible] expansion through the ages. He estimates the size of the hexes at 50 yards across, based on Professor Barker's statement of 40-100 yards. He roughly shows the E-W distance at 7800 feet, or 1.47727 miles. This makes Jakalla roughly 2.18 Sq miles in area. Note that this is very general and is not totally accurate, encompassing as it does, the rivers and areas outside the walls. To this I would argue that we can assume suburbs outside the city and the fact that the city clan houses and slums can go as high as 5 stories above ground and can extend below ground for several levels as well.

Now how populated is Jakalla? I usually reckon it to be about 600,000 - I can't recall if the books say this or if I picked it up somewhere. Now this works out at a population density of 274,935.9 per sq mile. Is that reasonable? Lets try Google and find out...

Kowloon Walled City, in Hong Kong, is an interesting Real World example.

It had a population of 33,000 people occupying 0.01 sq miles. Here the structures were 10-14 stories high. This is pretty dense, but not dense enough to prove Jakalla could exist.

That page, however, took me to a wikipedia article on World City Densities - the most Dense cities to be precise:

This gives the most densely populated city as Manila, with a population of 1,660,714 people. Conveniently it lists the area an density in both metric and imperial. The density is only 111,576 per sq mile, so not quite high enough.

Luckily, however, wikipedia also has a listing of densest subdivisions and this yields the Marine Lines subdivision of Mumbai.

This subdivision has a population density of 114,001 per sq kilometer. Going back to the densities given for Manila, I calculate that this gives a density of 295,266.2 per sq mile, which fits nicely with the estimated density for Jakalla listed above, and even allows a fudge factor.

So, Jakalla could exist! Not sure I would want to live there though!

Howard

The Tekumel Project:
http://thetekumelproject.blogspot.com/
http://thetekumelclub.blogspot.ca

My Tekumel gaming blog:
http://heroesoftheage.blogspot.ca

My non-Tekumel gaming blog and The Garden of Kama:
http://lohwand.blogspot.ca