[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Petal Throne • View topic - Question about what books to buy

All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:08 pm

Post subject: Question about what books to buy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:03 pm 

Hi there!

A few months back I came into the possession of the Swords & Glory 1 book, three volumes of “lone wolfâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:48 pm 

Personally, I loved the novels. Though can see how being in Sweden they might be a bit expensive, shipping wise.

Mitlanyal is pretty much THE place to go for Temple and Gods stuff. Though the Book of Ebon Bindings has a touch of the Demonology side. Together they make for an awesome three books though.

Swords and Glory Volume 1 - 1-3 (Since there's 3 volumes in book one) are great places for pretty much everything Tekumel, I don't think there's any single book with that much information in them. They do have some info on the temples' organizations and on the gods too, even a lot. It's just not anything like Mitlanyal if you're -really- interested in the religion side of things. (Since Mitlanyal is pretty much two books at least as, if not bigger than Swords and Glory and all about the Religious side of things.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:36 am 

There's been some change of plans as the guy who sold Swords & Glory 2 won't ship it to Sweden :( . But I'll probably will be able to get my hands on the Mitlanyal series from Amazon.com. I saw that there was someone on this forum who wanted to sell this book a few years back so I'll probably check with him before giving up on that front. If I would somehow stumble across any of these books I'll of course try to buy them, but since that's not really likly to occur I'll settle with some other solution.

And that leads me back into the use of novels, pre-made adventures and articles on this site and the Interspace as my sources for further knowledge about Tékumel culture and society, complementent by downloads from Drivethroughrpg.com. What novels are more telling about the Tékumel universe? I've heard that The Man of Gold and Flamesong were litterary better works, but know for a fact that the later triology is easier to get hold of and cheaper.

A short note is that its a shame that not more stuff regarding Tékumel has been put up onto Drivethroughrpg.com, but that's just a short rant from me.

Post subject: I agree on this point..
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:53 pm 

"A short note is that its a shame that not more stuff regarding Tékumel has been put up onto Drivethroughrpg.com, but that's just a short rant from me."

I have to agree. Also, what they do have on there should have been scanned with text parsing software, as what you get is basically photos of each page into images. This basically makes them worthless to search through.

I wish all Tekumel products would be scanned with OCR (optical character recognition) capable text parsing software into pdf, and available for sale on drivethrurpg and similar sites for reasonable prices. What they have already scanned and placed online for sale are reasonably priced, but they should have included text searchable formats. They are still worth the price though, regardless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:03 pm 

For those that it may concern I've ordered Mitlányal book 1 and 2 but failed to aquire Swords & Glory 2 as the seller simply demanded a price above what I was willing to pay.

Nevertheless my efforts to preapere for a game set in Tékumel continues and I have decided to shift the setting from a city of my own creation, Itzáyal on the southern coast, to Jakálla. Due to a lack of official information in my possession I will have to mix what information I can get with my own ideas.

Post subject: Re: Question about what books to buy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:39 pm 

Which version of Swords & Glory 2 were you looking for? The original, or the Different Worlds re-print?

In the Different Worlds reprint the original Swords & Glory 1 was split into multiple books, only two of which were published, IIRC. The Gamescience Swords & Glory 1 had a blue cover.

The Gamescience Swords & Glory 2 was the rules book. It had some information mixed in with the rules, of course, but not nearly as much as the Sourcebook.

The Tekumel Project:
http://thetekumelproject.blogspot.com/
http://thetekumelclub.blogspot.ca

My Tekumel gaming blog:
http://heroesoftheage.blogspot.ca

My non-Tekumel gaming blog and The Garden of Kama:
http://lohwand.blogspot.ca

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:32 pm 

its probably the original ones as in my blue book there isn't a single rule in sight.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:50 pm 

And now I am in possession of the two other books in the Swords and Glory mini-series and I am conspiring to get my hands on Guardians of Order's Tékumel game. The Goddess seems to smile upon her humble servant it would seem. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:46 am 

I am going to pick up some books from Andy Lorince in Pittsburgh, PA, USA hopefully on Friday. He has a ton of older Tekumel stuff.

I met him a few times at some of the local gaming conventions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:07 pm 

Make sure to pick up, if possible, the Swords and Glory mini-series because those books are filled with Tékumel goodies.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:22 am 

For help with the multiple editions of Swords & Glory, check Tita's Price List.

The first edition was published by Gamescience. Volume 1, the Tekumel Sourcebook, is the single best source for information on the setting. Volume 2, the Players Guide, contains rules for character generation rules, combat, magic use, and the most detailed list of spells to appear anywhere. Volume 3 was to be the GM's book, but iit never made it into print.

Some years later, Different Worlds took only Volume 1, and broke it up into three books, with new typesetting and I think a little bit of additional art. Book 1 has a blue cover, framing an illustration of a sorceror gazing on a woman in a glass (Nyelmu and Ma'in), and contains sections 0.100 through 1.560. Book 2 has a brown cover framing an illustration of soldiers overlooking a town, and contains 1.600 through 1.840. It also contains, as far as I know, the only map of the boundaries of the provinces of the Empire of the Petal Throne. Book 3 was apparently not published, but Tita's House of Games has created a reprint of it. I haven't seen it, but presumably it has the last third of the original Sourcebook so sections 1.900 through 1.1260.

Tita's has reprinted both Volume 1 and Volume 2 as single volumes. Well worth getting. The rules in Vol 2 are incredibly crunchy, but the chargen and magic sections have lots of useful details about the setting

Gardasiyal was the next attempt at a system for Tekumel, and it contains all the stuff that was intended for all 3 volumes of S&G, except the chargen (shifted to Adventures on Tekumel Vol 1 Book 1) and the monsters (published separately as the Tekumel Bestiary)

The publishing history of Tekumel games is a mess.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:49 pm 

I have the Different Worlds versions of Swords & Glory, and I recently picked up Gardasiyal. Again, I just need to read them. :)