[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Petal Throne • View topic - EPT One-Shot at a Convention... help?

All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:45 am

Post subject: EPT One-Shot at a Convention... help?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:48 pm 

Okay, so here is the blurb I came up with for a quick 4 hour 1-shot of EPT at my local gaming convention in Pittsburgh:

Tékumel: Underneath Jakálla
EPT
The Temple of Sárku (Master of the Undead) has hired a bunch of refugees and mercenaries that have recently arrived in the city of Jakálla from one of the nearby barbarian kingdoms. A Priest has recently deciphered an ancient scroll that tells of a powerful artifact that could be used against the rival Yán Kór Empire to the North, and your group has been hired to find it.

It's pretty simple, but I was wondering what online sites might help me flesh out this one-shot adventure. What Tekumel books would be helpful for this?

I have never ran or played in a single EPT game, so this will be my first.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: EPT One-Shot at a Convention... help?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:04 pm 

I'd recommend Mitlanyal vol. 2 for some extra info about the Temple of Sárku that will help you to roleplay the priests. After that a look at this could be helpful, as there is part about the Jakállan underworld.

Some form of rule book of beastarie with some Underworld critters would also be fairly useful for the game so that you'll have some opposition that has taken up residence in the relevant area.

http://joyfulsitting.blogspot.se/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:28 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just picked up Mitlanyal vol. 2 from Andy Lorince the other day, as I figured it would help me out. We hung out on his porch with his dog and talked about his relationship to M. A. R. Barker, Tekumel, and RPGs in general. It was a good time.

I also bought some of the only adventures put out for the setting, so hopefully those help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:58 pm 

The Hill Cantons blog has a bunch of useful posts as well.

I found some paper miniatures:
http://www.thegenieslamp.com/crafts/
(Scroll down to the bottom)

I found Pettigrew's Depth Structure Table, which is in a chart to randomly roll up the undercity, and filling it with: City, Catacomb, Shrine, Temple, Tomb, Great Tomb, Palace, Cache, Fortress, Wizard's Tower, Maze, Canals, Nexus Point, & Ancient Tunnels. It's a handy little chart. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:59 pm 

I forgot to link the blog:

http://hillcantons.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:01 am 

It sounds like you've found the important stuff. The Sourcebook has some text on features of the Jakallan Underworld, and there is a map of the city that was included with the original EPT game. You might check Tita's House of Games, I think they may sell the map separately. Prof. Barker made enormous maps of levels under Jakalla, they are huge, and drawn on tenth of an inch grid. Victor Raymond (pres. of the Tekumel Foundation) uses them to run games. He's an old school enthusiast, so runs them in EPT. I think there may be some plan to publish the maps and key some time, but I suspect not before you run your game.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:46 pm 

It would be very cool to eventually see Barker's maps of the underworld of Jakalla. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:53 pm 

It would indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:03 pm 

I just did this video with some of the props I intend to use for the 1-shot. The player characters will be summoning the Demon Srukarum as per The Book of Ebon Bindings.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:26 pm 

Very impressive work done by that GM. I just wish I could be as creative.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:52 pm 

The 1-shot went very well, and now I am a GM that has actually ran a game of Tekumel. :) The demon lord was summoned and the Temple of Sarku now has an artifact to summon the Legion of the Despairing Dead for one full year. One of the characters now serves as a General in that prestigious legion as well, hehe.