[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Petal Throne • View topic - Qadardalikoi miniatures rules - unplayab

All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:39 am

Post subject: Qadardalikoi miniatures rules - unplayab
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:22 am 

The subject line seems to have a limited number of characters less than the line length...

I bought these rules 20 years ago or so. Can't figure them out. Seem to be missing sections (bad layout & editing & no proofreading???) Section 0.420 does not exist, but is necessary for the combat rules.

Somebody show my how to make these rules work.

I see there are several other miniatures rules for EPT. A description of how the mechanisms work & their chronological story would be appreciated.

Are any EPT figs still in production? Affordable enought to build armies?

Post subject: Re: Qadardalikoi miniatures rules - unplayab
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:18 pm 

Hello EPTminiGamer,
I have played many games of Qadardalikoi and while I admit we haven't used all of the rules, we have had no problems with them. I have two different copies of the rules and Section 0.420 is in both of them. It is a section on Unit Formations and it is something we don't use all that much. Do you have specific questions regarding the rules?

As for figure availability, PHD Games is still in existance but no one has hear from them in awhile. Tita's House of Games has a limited suplly of figures. And over on the Yahoo Tekumel Group there has been some movement by someone to get new figures made by Eureka Miniatures. I believe he is commissioned the first green to be made.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:09 pm 

OK, I found it; too many pages of nonsense words in a row...

If you ignore the Army and Unit formations, it seems to me that you are removing an important part of the "flavor" of the game. As well as an important modifier for combat & morale.

There must be some method for utilizing the Army formations; the rules are lacking in sufficient detail regarding the number of troops needed for the various formations.

How do you organize your figures into Cohorts and Legions? Using modern basing standards, I would want one element to be a Cohort and a "unit" of several to be a Legion. In terms of 1970's rules mechanics, figures would be individually based.

MAR uses fuzzy descriptive words - phalanx is not really defined, for example. Is it a multiple of Legions, or one Legion, or as small as a Cohort?

How many figures does it take to make an interesting game?

There is no point system, so how do you create balanced games?

15mm or even 10mm figure size would allow affordable large armies to be built and gamed on a 4' wide table.

The drawings on the statistics sheets could be scanned, colored, and used to make chits to used instead of figures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:19 pm 

Hi,

I'm not a regular minis gamer, but I can answer a few of your questions. No one is currently making Tekumel miniatures. There was a guy operating as PHD Games, but he's has been unresponsive to email for a long time (even though his webpage is still up). He also lives (lived?) in or next to New Orleans, and may well have been flooded out this year.

As Mark noted, there are some folks talking about getting some new miniatures produced for Tekumel. Check out the archives of the main Tekumel yahoogroup:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/tekumel/

Also, there is a recently created yahoogroup specifically dedicated to Tekumel miniatures and war-gaming.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TekumelMinis-War/
There's a nice collection of photos there, as well as more people interested in wargaming than there are here.

My sense regarding Barker's use of "phalanx" is taken from his essay on formations. He seems to use it just to mean a body of men in close order, usually a square or retangular formation, most often of heavy infantry, probably armed with pole-arms. There's definitely no specification of the number of men involved.

I agree with you that it would be great to have some "cardboard heroes" for Tekumel. No one has undertaken this idea, but I think it would be a good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:37 am 

What is the correct name for the Minis group? This email address bounced:
Subscribe-TekumelMinis-War@yahoogroups.com
I won't have access to the files etc because I won't agree to the terms of service which, in the fine print, allow them & unspecified 'business partners' to track potentially all of your web activity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:13 am 

This is the minis group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TekumelMinis-War/

You need to subscribe to yahoo groups by creating a user account before you can join the group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:58 pm 

Like I said, I DO NOT subscribe to any Yechoo groups because their terms of service are not acceptable.

I have always subscribed to various emailing lists only; by the old-fashioned method of sending a "subscribe" email; but I need to know the correct name. It is printed at the footer of each message, where it tells you how to unsubscribe by sending an email to...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:25 am 

EPTminiGamer,
here are the addresses you need, copied from the front page of the Tekumel Minis group. You had the syntax wrong for the subscribe address:

Post message: TekumelMinis-War@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: TekumelMinis-War-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe: TekumelMinis-War-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner: TekumelMinis-War-owner@yahoogroups.com

for what it's worth, you can "subscribe" to Yahoo and provide them with very little information, just a name/alias, an email address (if you don't want to use their email service, I don't) and a zip code. I looked over their privacy policy and terms of service, I don't see anything in there that says they're going to track all of your web activity. They do (understandably) track the use of their sites, but I don't have a problem with that. I'm not sure how they could possibly track web activity outside of their site unless they're installing spyware on subscribers' machines, and that seems both very unlikely and preventable using standard security software, which anyone should have who uses the internet. I may be optimistic about this, since I'm a Mac user and viruses and spyware are much less of a problem for us, but that's my two cents.

I respect your concern for privacy, it's a constant battle these days. I just thought this information might be useful, and that you might enjoy seeing the files uploaded to the Tekumel groups' websites.

cheers,

Epengar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:34 am 

DOH! backwards syntax...

The terms of service allow them to datamine your web presence when you go to the sites of un-specified "business partners."

Undoubtedly these partners include any business which uses Yechoo or its corporate subsidiaries to provide their server or who use their advertising services to direct you to their site.[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:24 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:29 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:36 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:12 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:11 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:21 am