[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Petal Throne • View topic - Pictures of my EPT soldiers

All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:10 am

Post subject: Pictures of my EPT soldiers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:48 pm 

I have uploaded to one of my blogs the first of hopefully many pics of completed EPT soldiers. I haven't finished the bases yet and some of the photos are a tad blurry however they are up.

http://helgrau.blogspot.com/

Please feel free to leave comments and/or criticisms.

regards,
Donald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:35 am 

Hello Donald,
Thanks for the link to your blog! The figures are very nicely done. They look good even without the bases being finished.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:51 am 

Yes, good work on the figs; is there any cooper and tin on Tekumel, perhaps some amounts might be available for making bronze plates for a few elite legions? Not really sure, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:47 pm 

Post subject: Nice painting I have a few Qs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:30 pm 

Nice work. I am doing mine with a simular light blue but a royal blue wash over the plates as soon as I can get some pictures I will have em up
I was thinking there is enough room for a gliph in the central plate on the skirt but I am not sure which I might use.
also I did the belt red I Know I know but it sets it off well.
some Qs

First how many do you have in each unit?
What rules are you using?
What is the TO& E the Erver Present # of inf. to archers?
Are they mixed in the same unit as the Hereksa had in Flame Song?
I do alot of conversions so I have a few Hlaka how many would be asigned to a unit on TAD orders to scout .
Thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:49 am 

A lot of people collect the legions at 1:100 ratio, but really it would depend upon the rules used and size of battle to be represented. The two published battle reports that I know of (Chanis and Ry) mention units in the 500 up to 2000 range.

As for rules, myself I prefer something leaning on the WAB or C&C side of things. The published Tekumel ruleset are very much more of the old school WRG variety (IMO) and don't work that well (again, IMO.) HOTT has an army list. I am currently experimenting with Fantasy Warriors (a free download) and Warrior Heroes (by Two Hour Wargames.) The main features of Tekumel batttles (IMO) would be:

1) lack of cavalry;
2) pre-battle events such as duels, sacrifices, chants, war-drums, etc. (Fantasy Warriors covers this pretty well);
3) the strategems used;
4) contingents of offensive and defensive sorcerors.

Fantasy Warriors has options for Omens/Soothsayers, Boasts, Speeches and Chanting (in the form of the Goblin War Chant.) All of which could be adapted to have a more Tekumeli flavour.

Warhammer Ancient Battles has covers most - if not all - of the troop types needed in the various supplements.

re. The EPGs, they have 5 cohorts (each of 400 men) that have bows. The way the list is written these could be fielded with spear and shield instead.

How they were deployed is more vague. There are suggestions that units could be mixed with spearmen in the front ranks and archers behind, or they could be in seperate units. I think it would depend upon the situation. I would not rate them as skilled as proper archers though. The EPG's (or Ever Present Glorias, as a friend calls them) are an elite unit, but I don't think their archery skills would be elite-status.

Re. Flamesong, I think you are referring to the Rulla Gurek (a Yan Kor unit) - correct? That unit has both heavy and medium infantry, all of whom carry short bows in addition to their regular arms.

Best Regards,

Howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:28 am 

No I am sure he was Tsolyani a hereksa of a "recently formed legion they followed the Flame god and all any way his Kar'eng had several Sem'etl with spear and shield and at least one with Crossbow and Pavise. they are seperated from the bulk of the unit and only 3 or 4 Cross bowmen go on the "epic" they talk about advancing upon a cornered foe with the use of one of the crosbowmens shields saying it would be no problem.

I am thinking when I do my gaming I will do smaller actions though than 1 / 100. Prehaps 1 /4 with only a two or three Kar'engs worth to a side. I am thinkIng 20 spear men and five archers. If I were a Molk'ar and was in tight terrain where a large battle formation was not practical spliting up a Kar'eng of archers and then divy em up between assult units would make sence.
So my begining Tsolyani force will proley be somthing Two Heavy EPG units of 25 figures at least one medium and a unit of the S'erqu Though I truthfuly dont like em as much as the EPG figsand hopfuly by the time I get those painted they will have some flame worshipin fellers with spear, axe and crossbow.
T book sez that the S'erqu use maces as well so if I do them I will have a few with appropiate beater sticks
I have five or so well done Halka I hope to add another 15 at least so when

My other big project has been scratch building Ss'u I am doing wire frames then using a light cured resin with shield and swords cut from card stock plastic or molded off other figures.
It helps that I have a dental lab to work in and a couple of hours a week to do conversions. My kids are not at home so Im not doin much when I get there but painting. I am working harder on this project to do a higher quality, I was knockin out GWS LOTR figs at 5/10 a night these Im doin two at the most a night so maybe some time in march Im hoping for a different EPT project. Well Im ramblin and I gotta go get a bus home.
Thanx for your time.
Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 am 

Yes, I think you're right. I'm forgetting the storyline. I think Rulla Gurek were those that assaulted the outpost near the start. I remember thinking it was a useful bit of info as there is little information available about where the gureks were posted during the war.

The Tekumel Project is due to release Hlaka in 2008, though the exact date is not known at this time. They and Shen are topping the list, followed by the Red D's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:02 am 

The red D's would be perfect. I am haveing some trouble gettin any one else in my group up for this (save my sons as I buy thier minis and lunch "they will play tiddely winks in a bucket of manure" if I say thats the game of the day) I may get one buddy to paint up some Libyians or other aincients and go against him?? actualy libyians might make good desert rats for that desert of sighs deal??they still have penis sheaths but they wear the desert cloaks things so maybe.
He has some Assierians as well. Oregon seem prety dry for this so far.

I saw a pict on line of a Sakebe road some one had at a con it was sweet no close ups of figs though.
I have been lookin at doing a few chlen and carts to drag them around.
Also what is your take on Ss'u I have seen several versions and done several as well . How do you see them?
The ones on the front of the flame song book are nothing like the RPG book and the old Ral Partha are different still. Oh well Bus time Im outta here.
Don