[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Petal Throne • View topic - creating Tekumel encounters as a con event

All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:27 am

Post subject: creating Tekumel encounters as a con event
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:51 am 

Hi all,
While Tekumel is a very rich and detailed setting, I think it suffers from a lack of the sort of small-scale material that busy gm's use to help them run more games. There are few prepared adventures available, and nearly all are one-shots written by fans; very few maps of towns, practically no maps of particular places: no ruined (or intact) temples, palaces, or dungeons; very few prepared encounters, or descriptions of particular locales. GM's who want to run games in this setting have to do a lot of building from scratch or borrowing from outside the setting.

In a couple of months, a group of Tekumel fans will be gathering at U•Con , a local game convention. I'd like to run an event at the con where a bunch of us work together to create some of these kinds of things. Maybe not complex maps, but interesting encounters, small communities with lots of secrets and politics, small dungeons with inhabitants and loot. The kind of stuff a gm could drop into a game, or use as inspiration, or use as a starting location for a campaign. There are some pretty serious Tekumel fans coming, people who really love the setting, and I think they would enjoy this, and would agree that it's something the setting really needs more of.

My quandary is how to make the event itself both productive and fun. We could just use a big pad of paper and brainstorm, but I think a little more structure might work better. One idea that I had was a sort of "Iron Chef" approach: small teams get sets of elements to use as inspiration ("a mournful sergeant" "a team of slavers" "a ruined clan-house" "a priest of the Lord of Worms" "an antique sword") and then we see what we have at the end, maybe we vote for a winning product. Another idea is to start the group, or teams, with some work with the Mythic Game Master Emulator (which I own but have done nothing with).

What do you think? Any ideas for how to make this both fun and productive? Any kind of suggestions are welcome, from thoughts on social dynamics to clever use of sticky notes, to wiki software recommendations. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: creating Tekumel encounters as a con event
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:21 pm 

This looks very interesting although I personally won't be able to participate. Still I'll be keeping my eyes open for the results coming from this as I do not doubt they'll be great. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:27 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:28 pm 

You're welcome. :) As it happens I'm in the progress of reading through the mentioned source of adventures for Tékumel. I'm hoping to be able to run at least one of them with my primary rpg group.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:46 am 

I'd love to see you expand this into a thread here on this forum if possible. (or on your own website) Perhaps as a 'follow-up' to the face2face at the convention. Just a suggestion. I think the idea has great merit. Perhaps this is something that could be followed up upon / expanded upon at the virtual Tekumelanicon 2012 next year. (rrrrraaaaaaaaar - sound of cat springing from the bag). Anyhow. Once we fully test some online chatting (w/call-in) offerings, I'll say more about "Tekumelanicon."

Good luck with UCON! Hopefully I can make it some year. I'm on the east coast unfortunately, and broke. I'm going to try and start saving up kitchen points potentially for 2012.

Peter Robbins
Co-Admin
http://skeinofdestiny.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:17 am 

Thanks! I hope you can make next year. My current very vague idea is to work on a town at UCon, the kind of place that isn't quite big enough to get mentioned in the Sourcebook, but nonetheless large enough to reflect a lot of the diversity in the Empire. My hope is that we could make it generic enough for GMs to drop it into whatever area of Tsolyanu that they want. I think a good way to present it would be in the form of a wiki, and in the next day or two will be writing to the Foundation to see if I can get permission to put something like that online. I hope that if we constrain the wiki to details and specifics of a particular place and people, then they won't feel that it undermines other Tekumel publications. So no long entries on the god Sarku, or on the Omnipotent Azure Legion, or the Incandescent Blaze Society, but entries on the particular person who is the priest of Sarku in the town, and on the staff of the Palace of the Realm in the town (which includes the retired OAL official) and on the clique of young warriors in the town who are getting very keen on the Flame...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:35 pm 

I'd love to get in n this, but being a couple of thousand miles way in the UK on the day I don't think I am going to be able to.

A wiki would be nice, and something that teku-freaks like me could add to without actually being at the event. If you are going to do a town can I recommend you read Zak Smith's Vornheim and/or Robin Law's Kaiin Player's Guide, two very different but excellent takes on how to write up urban areas for RPGs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:44 pm 

@Epengar - I would love to see a follow-up wiki as well; that way if the mood and muse strikes, more folks could "add to it" and/or further brainstorm on behalf of expanding the experiment. That first face2face (and as many others into the future as possible) offers a good "anchor" for the experiment. I'd love to do a follow-up web based event for Tekumelanicon; then further bridge it forwards to next year's UCON. I've started to lay the ground work with the Mrs. to get a kitchen pass for 2012. I at least want to make it to one UCON face-to-face. I hope to market UCON as much as possible during the virtual Tekumelanicon. Just fyi.

Peter Robbins
Skein Of Destiny / Co-Admin
http://skeinofdestiny.blogspot.com/
Tekumelanicon 2012 Director
http://tekumelanicon.blogspot.com/

IF anyone wishes to join forces for Tekumelanicon, by all means, I could use the help arranging and hosting the web based call-in chats for the "webinar" section of the virtual event.