[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Petal Throne • View topic - The Usurper - Dich'uné

All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:46 pm

Post subject: The Usurper - Dich'uné
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:47 pm 

A topic that I have been thinking on to and from for some time is regarding the true nature and character of Dich'uné and his effect on Tsolánu and Tsoláni society.

From what information I have come across most seem to think of him as an antagonist to be stopped. This I can understand primarily from the eyes of the Temples of Stability and the more high status Clans and Imperial Party that does not wish for any challange of tradition. I naturally understand that also lower status Clans and Temples of Change are in most ways supporting the established order, it strikes me that the Temples of Change would perhaps be more supportive of a limited change of that order that would reduce the influence of Stability upon the empire.

There are of course parts regarding Dich'uné that can be question, among those the scam of a Kòlumejálim where only Dich'uné was present to leaving the Golden Tower for the City of Sarkú, which of course was a terrible breach of traditional even if it was made in secret. But even with these and further breaches against the traditions, with employment of undead troops for instance, it seems that Dich'uné did provide the first challange to the traditions of Tsoláni society for a very long time. I remember reading in Sword & Glory 1 that there were at present no force in society capable of challanging the rule of traditions in society and so wonder if Dich'uné could have been one such force of challange?

I do not however mean to paint the Usurper as some kind of liberator or as a champion for a more free and enlightent society, which he of course was far from and in many cases did uphold the traditions. If should of course also be noted that while he did do many things that were considered highly ignoble by alot of people he did not engage in the same depravidations that previous Sarkú-emperors like Hehejallú and Dúrumu carried out even during the civil war when he was ready to use undead troops in order to defend his claim. Of course if this comes from not wanting to do horrible things with his undead troops or simply not having the oppertunity is something that can be discussed.

From what I can gather it seems to me that there are three possible interpriations of Dich'uné, his character and intentions.

Amoral powerplayer: Dich'uné wanted power and did not care of minor annoyances as noble and ignoble behavior when seeking power. In true Machiavellian he used an oppertunity to bend the traditions to his favor and claim the Petal Throne. The continued bending of traditions to and fro would seem that he was ready to bend or break the traditions and laws when it was to his advantage, and refrain from such actions when it was not in his advantage.

Fanatic of Change/the Worm: Dich'uné was a fanatical follower of Change and fought a kind of ideological war against the Temples of Stability that after all holds alot of influence over the Empire. This behavior would of course perhaps be more fitting for a priest of Ksárul, Hrü'ü or Wurú but I do not find it entirely impossible that a follower of the Worm Lord could do that as well. From this perspective Dich'uné would act in the interest of the Temples of Change to shake the dominance of Stability and the traditions to allow for the Temples of Change to gain more influence.

Avatar of Sarkú: There is a rumors, at least in my Mitlanyal book vol. 2, that Dich'uné would have some very close conection with his god and that perhaps he would function as some kind if Avatar for the Worm Lord on Tékumel. From this perspective most of the Usurper's actions could be part of some indeciprible plot beyond the keen of mortals, but makes it very difficult to speculate since the actions of a god don't need to make sense to lesser creatures to be productive actions for the god.

My personal view of it is that Dich'uné was likly something between a amoral powerplayer and a fanatic of the Temples of Change who wanted to have power and remake Tsolánu after the teachings of Change. I would however likly not consider him, as I recall reading somewhere, that he would be some kind of personified evil with conections with the Pariah Deities and more.

I would be very happy to hear from other people what you're thoughts are on Dich'uné the Usurper, and if anyone has used him in a game feel free to post about it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:23 am 

Personally, I think the biggest reason he wasn't liked was the simple fear from all avenues that he'd have become an undead emperor like another Sarku Emperor before him. And that could cause some big issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:20 am 

There is a scene in Man of Gold that indicates that Dhich'une has a very close relationship with Sarku.

I think the Change temples tend to each prefer their own flavor of change. Prince Dhich'une certainly got some support from the other two members of the "Dark Trinity" (Hru'u and Ksarul), but it looks like none of the major powers was too comfortable with the idea of a Sarku fanatic on the throne.

Last edited by Epengar on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:35 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:12 pm 

There have certainly been other Sarku worshipping Emperors but I think Dichune is the only one to attempt to rule for eternity. We would surely have heard about the struggle to bring him down if there had been. Perhaps the previous Emperors realized the animosity it might cause, or perhaps actually accomplishing the feat was beyond their abilities. Or maybe they were never quite as fanatical as Dichune?

The Tekumel Project:
http://thetekumelproject.blogspot.com/
http://thetekumelclub.blogspot.ca

My Tekumel gaming blog:
http://heroesoftheage.blogspot.ca

My non-Tekumel gaming blog and The Garden of Kama:
http://lohwand.blogspot.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:04 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:53 am 

Post subject: Read 'Prince of Skulls'
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:30 pm 

Answers in the mentioned book. I'll choose option 3... which in Bob Alberti's excellent sourcebooks aren't called avatars- they are aspects and my character was properly 'cursed' with one long ago in Professor Barker's basement [hehe]...though aspects of Avanthe aren't as nasty as those of tht worm, they sure don't make you any friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:54 am 

Yes, Avatar was perhpas a poor choice of words but I figured that it might have been an overestimation to say that Dichune was an actually Aspect of the Great Lord Sárku, rather than "merely" a human infused with the power of the Worm.

But since you've tested it out with Avánthe maybe you would like to take it to the next level - say Dlamélish? Lots of fun for both you and everyone else. :D

Post subject: Ru'utlanesh
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:52 pm 

I have.

See title. Its very VERY uncomfortable when someone says that word and you... um....

yeah

Post subject: ...wow
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:56 pm 

I think I get about half the picture of what you mean...and that's about enough for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:15 pm 

Moderator of the and the
blog.