[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Petal Throne • View topic - Timeline for Sirsum

All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:28 pm

Post subject: Timeline for Sirsum
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:46 pm 

Posted here as these boards are much to quiet. Perhaps the Ssu are in the area?

As part of my campaign set in Kilalammu I am trying to put together a rough timeline for the town of Sirsum.

Now Sirsum appears to be on the Kilalammuyani side of the border but at times has a Tsolyanu garrison. At the time setting in the old Tekumel sourcebooks the town is definately Kilalammuyani. At sometime the town appears to have acquired a Tsolyanu garrison and organisation. This was withdrawn at some point, and the adventure in "Adventures on Tekumel: Beyond the Borders of Tsolyanu" is heading for this town with a merchant caravan to establish why contact was lost with the town.

So part from establishing roughly when these and any other events occurred is the town a Tsolyanu outpost beyond the border of Tsolyanu, a Kilammuyani town which sometimes houses Tsolyanu troops or does it keep changing hands?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:18 pm 

I don't think there are any other sources for this, so whatever suits your purposes. It's probably at least 5-10 years from the time of the old sourcebook to the time that AoT is set, so there's plenty of time for a change of regime on the border. Maybe some ambitious Tsolyani officer took it, held it for a while, then was promoted elsewhere, and the officials in Hekellu decided to cede it back to a local warlord (with suitable vows of fealty to the Petal Throne, of course)? Or maybe a the Tsolyani had taken it, then withdrew in response to news of disorder in the empire. The legion in Hekellu might have expected to be (or have been) recalled, and pulled in its outlying garrisons. From the description in AoT, Sirsum sounds like a fairly substantial place, with significant architecture. It doesn't sound like something that would be meekly surrendered by its rulers, whoever they were.

An aside, I wonder what happened to the farmers who lived outside the walls, and presumably provided the food for the town? Did the Ssu massacre them too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:33 pm 

In the "background" I am putting together it looks like the Ssu carried off quite a large number of Sirsums citizens. The number of bodies mentioned in Beyond the Borders mentions hundreds of bodies. If this estimate is right then there are thousands missing, I estimated the population of Sisrum as around 7,500. I have some escaping into the foothills of the mountains to the east (The High Peaks of Kilalammu) and some possibley seeking help from the Hlaka to the north, but for the majority only the Ssu know (and perhaps the professor).

Based on the dot markers I came up with the following populations for towns in Kilalammu
Disunar Small town - population less than 10,000
Sirsum Small town - population less than 10,000
Tnalum Large town - population between 10,000 and 50,000
Fort Mnetlu Large town - population between 10,000 and 50,000

Some of this I posted on the Tekumel yahoo group.

I have done a somewhat more detailed map of Kilallamu on which I placed a number of smaller towns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:23 am 

ooooh, creepy. The Ssu carried off hundreds, maybe thousands? Intriguing. I would probably have just had most folks run off to the hills. Then again, maybe the Ssu worm farms needed to be mulched...

I read the town symbols the same way you do, except for Fort Mnetlo (sp?), that is a "small town" on the S&G map. The Gardasiyal map, and the T:EPT map that seems to be derived from it, both changed many town size symbols. It looks like a misread to me, I think the S&G map is more trust-worthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:46 am 

I based my populations on the Garadsiyal map however it was a little difficult to read the symbols and the differing key on the western map didn't help. According to the eastern key both Tnalum and Fort Mnetlo are large towns with a population of between 50,000 and 100,000 each, so I effectively dropped them a category. The approximate populations I assigned were;

Tnalum about 40,000
Fort Mnetlu about 20,000
Sirsum about 7,000
Disunar also about 7,000

Of course none of this is canon, but it seems reasonable to me. S&G in the Dwellings and Settlements section does seem to imply that somewhere in this region there are large towns/small cities and both Tnalum and Fort Mentlu have the symbol for this so I could increase the populations of both to 50,000+

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:04 pm 

Sounds good to me. Is the campaign already in progress? How goes "Alexander of Kilalammu"? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:54 pm 

Just started. The first scene has our "hero" with his band observing the town of Sirsum as the troops of the Tsolyani 20th MI enter the town. Basically it starts where that part of the solitaire adventure in Byond the Borders ends. Should be very interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:53 pm 

Moderator of the and the
blog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:53 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:36 pm 

Moderator of the and the
blog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:43 pm 

Moderator of the and the
blog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:53 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:09 pm 

Chirne and Takodai were Sent by Emperor Hirkane to be Govenor of Hikellu and wardens of The Chagari protectorate and Krunan protectorate or at least thats how Chirne functioned when i worked for him as chancellor of protectorate. Lady Anka was working with Chirne in Hekellu i believe with the Formation of the legion. The details of how they got the standard would be known by people in proffessor barkers campaign or proffesor barker himself.